Setting Priorities

 I've recently turned 24, and with that, I've been thinking about what my priorities will be for the next year. In the absence of an accountability buddy, I've decided to post my resolutions here; in order from highest priority to lowest priority:


  • Finish my novel. I'm about 35,000 words into a second draft (the first draft is about 80,000 words). I figure if I average about 150 words per day (which is incredibly achievable, and would allow me to take days off pretty regularly), draft 2.0 will be done in less than a year. After that, it will be in a state to start sharing with others. I will try and get some feedback on it and come up with a plan for further edits and then publication. 

  • Practice playing songs on my keyboard. I'm good at learning the first few lines of a song, but often lose focus and never master it. Right now I've got my sights set on "Amazing Grace".

  • Sew a skirt, and then some other stuff. I've already started a skirt in this mint green colour, but have realised the fabric is a little see-through so I need to add another layer. I'm feeling too lazy for this extra step but will need to do it sooner or later. Once the skirt is done I'll be able to start a new project, maybe something a little smaller this time.

  • Study Japanese, with the goal to pass JLPT N3. I took JLPT N3 last December and failed by a few marks, so want to go back and pass this time. This is low on the list because I'm feeling a little burnt out with Japanese right now, but in the next couple of months, I want to pick it up again. If all goes well I hope to also start progress towards N2 by the end of the year. 

  • Make a short animation. I was just reminded of an animated gif I made of closing fist a few years ago. I was so proud of it at the time but then never made anything else. Therefore, my stretch goal for this year is to recapture whatever magic I had back then.


So that's that. It will be interesting to see if posting this actually pushes me to meet these goals. If the novel or the animations ever get finished, they'll surely show up on this blog again at some point. We'll soon see.  

Unrelated, but here's the cake I made for my birthday:



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The legislator and her husband (A Drabble)